Updating County Court Judgment and Scottish Decree Information

If you repaid all the money for a county court judgment or Scottish decree, you can request that your credit report is updated to show anyone searching the report that you have paid, and when you did so.

County Court Judgments (CCJs)

Once you have paid money stated in the County Court Judgment, then you'll need to obtain a Certificate of Satisfaction from the court. Simply write to the court listed in your credit report (quoting the case number) with proof that you've paid in full (for example, a receipt). If you are unable to provide this proof, the court will write to the person who won the CCJ. You'll also need to enclose a court fee of £15.

The court will then send you a Certificate of Satisfaction, and the Registry Trust (a company that takes care of the Register of County Court Judgments and administration orders from the county courts in England and Wales, and which holds public registers covering money judgments/decrees in Scotland, Isle of Man, Northern Ireland and Jersey) will be informed.

The Registry Trust will inform all credit reference agencies that the debt has been paid, and your credit report should be updated within the next 3-4 weeks, with a note that the debt has been 'satisfied'. This will remain on your credit report for 6 years from the date the court issued the CCJ.

However, it's worth noting that if you pay your debt off within 1 month of the county court judgment, the Registry Trust will completely remove it from their register and your credit report.

If you believe a County Court Judgment or decree has been incorrectly registered, contact the court in question straightaway.

Scottish Decrees

When you repay a decree you received from the summary causes sheriff court or small claims court, you'll need to send proof to the Registry Trust. This should consist of a receipt or letter from the company or person you owed the money to (or their solicitor/agent), and should include the following information:

  • the case number
  • the sheriff court concerned
  • the date of the decree
  • the amount of the decree
  • the date you paid in full

This information should be sent to the Registry Trust (153 -157 Cleveland Street, London W1T 6QW) along with a search fee of £4.50. The Registry Trust will then inform all credit reference agencies, and your credit report will be updated and the decree marked as 'satisfied'.

Like English County Court Judgments (CCJs), Scottish decrees will remain on your credit report for 6 years from the date the court issued the decree. However, if you completely repay the debt within 1 month of the judgement, it will be removed completely from both your credit report and from the Scottish Register held by the Registry Trust.